How We Handled Health and Safety this Summer
We are always grateful after we wrap up a safe and healthy summer, and we are especially grateful to reflect back on the summer of 2020. We saw families relaxing and playing together, eating well, and enjoying all that Rockmont has to offer. The practices we implemented to prevent and mitigate the spread of COVID-19 were effective and helpful, and we gained confidence and insight as we look forward to Father/Son weekends and the summer of 2021.
Our basic plan was to give families the space to enjoy their time together and the ability to practice good, COVID safety. Here are some of the practices that helped us stay healthy this summer:
- Families were encouraged to be tested before arrival and were screened upon arrival.
- Staff were screened every morning
- Families remained in cohorts.
- Masks were worn inside except when eating and outside when closer than six feet.
- At every morning gathering we emphasized that we are looking out for each other and encouraged everyone to wear masks and keep appropriate distances.
- All the tables in the dining hall were spaced six feet apart.
- Tables and other surfaces were cleaned before and after they were used.
- At night, we set multiple fires (and distributed individual S’more packs), so that no one had to crowd around a single fire.
- We had maximal outdoor programming.