Updated March 20, 2020
(Updated Information Starred*)
Updates on Coronavirus in Preparation for Summer Camp
The emergence of Coronavirus is a serious issue for all of us, camps included. At Rockmont, we are paying close attention to this situation, regularly monitoring developments from the CDC and other health authorities, consulting reports from the Association of Camp Nursing, and working with our own health care team. We maintain a relationship with our local health department, and they are an important resource for us this and every year.
Rockmont Directors will attend the NCYCA’s (North Carolina Youth Camp Association) Camp Education Symposium on Coronavirus on March 27th, 2020 – hosted by area medical professionals, environmental health supervisors, and infectious disease experts.
*We are writing to let you know that, as of now, our hope is to enjoy another healthy, adventurous summer session at Rockmont. We are thankful for you, and we pray for you.” A Letter to Rockmont Families from Stan Wilson and Mike Peckham.
Updates to our Communicable Illness Procedures
- We ask (as always) that all campers be fever-free for 24 hours before arriving at camp.
- If any camper has a fever upon arrival, one of our senior Health Center professionals will consult with parents about the best plan for care.
- If your son has a communicable illness, and is at risk of passing it to others, the directors will work with you to delay your arrival, move your camper to a later session, or find some other arrangement that benefits the health of your son and the whole community.
- The directors are meeting with our health team to examine all of our health and wellness practices.
How You Can Prepare
- Prepare your son to make a contribution to the health of the whole community at camp by instilling good everyday habits:
- Washing hands regularly with soap and water for 20 seconds or using hand sanitizer when soap and water are not available,
- Coughing or sneezing into tissues or the crux of the elbow.
- Should health concerns arise in the days before camp, contact Cindy Bruce in the Rockmont office (828-686-3885 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Help your son arrive well-rested, nourished, hydrated, and ready for a great adventure.